Saturday, February 1, 2014

Video Capture - trying out ClipGrab


I did it.  Whew!  Initially this assignment gave me some anxiety.  Although part of that is due to the relentless pace of the activities.  With grades and comments due this week, plus the general lesson planning necessary, I feel a bit overwhelmed when I need to spend time learning and using new things day after day.  My solution was to put the blog/assignment issue aside for 24 hours, get all my work stuff done, and tackle this first thing Saturday morning.  So, the sun is just coming up and I have managed to learn and accomplish something new.  I feel pretty good.

I had never attempted to download a video from YouTube before, but thought it was a very useful idea. Every year we lose our ability to access YouTube (and other vast swaths of the internet) during the SOLs.  The school system asks that internet access be extremely limited so that students who are taking the test online do not suffer from connectivity issues.  Downloading ahead of time means that teachers who were planning on using a video for instruction can do so as planned.  I love it.  But had no idea how to go about it.

I see from reading the Padlet wall that there are a number of ways to accomplish this.  I read the wall after I did a little Google research found a Wiki on the subject.  That led me to ClipGrab.  ClipGrab requires an initial download, but that only took a minute and within seconds of that I had my Harry Kindergarten sight word video ready to save on my computer.  Very cool.

iste.nets-t standards
Being able to download a video from YouTube or other video sources allows teachers to design relevant learning experiences using digital tools (2a), and if students were to use this skill as part of an assignment, it allows them to customize and personalize learning activities. (2c)

No comments:

Post a Comment