Sunday, February 2, 2014

Jing Screencast - so cool and easy to use!

I will admit I was a bit nervous about the whole video thing, but then I often am about things I am trying for the first time.  Jing is great, and frankly I made something useful, which is sadly not always the case with classwork. Can't wait to roll it out to my parents.  I used Padlet to create a wall with all the math games we are using for reinforcing addition and subtraction facts, as well as story problems.  The kids love these, but they are a bit of a pain to get to because they are rather buried in our web site.  My Padlet wall gets them all in the same place, with a little visual to help those who don't read as well, and they don't have to accept the Loudoun County disclaimer each time they select a new game.  I think it will be very useful for my students and their parents.

This assignment was actually quite simple using Jing.  To begin, I simply scrolled over the Jing Sun at the top of my screen.  I chose the first prong, the "Capture" prong.   The second prong is the "History" prong and it enables you to see the captures you have made in the past.  The final button on the sun is really handy, it allows you to get help (which I often need!) and change or customize settings.  Back to the first button, once I clicked the "capture" button, I was able to scroll across and select my entire desktop to be the image captured.  I then selected  the"video" button from the toolbar so that I would not get a picture, but a video with audio for my capture.  I recorded the steps needed for my parents to help their students access my Padlet and then I selected end.  I saved the video (an SWF file) in my windows photo library and in my Screencast library.  The Screencast button allows you to share your video.  Here is the link to mine. Math Resources Padlet video   I wanted to upload the video like I did with Harry Kindergarten yesterday, but it is not working.  I shall have to look into that.

iste.nets-t standards:  I think the use of Screencast to teach my parents how to use my Padlet wall as a math resource fits nicely with standard 3-Model Digital Age Work and learning.  It definitely allows for collaboration using digital tools and resources and although I could probably use some practice as a commentator, the video shares relevant information and ideas fairly effectively.  The Padlet itself facilitates my students learning because it really does make it easier for 6 year olds to navigate to the target games.

No comments:

Post a Comment