Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Screencast o matic - that was kind of tricky

Screencast o matic offers some tools that Jing does not, but the help is not nearly as easy to find.  And I needed some help.  The biggest issue I had (that was not related to my own laptop/webcam) was figuring out how to get both myself and my screen in the video.  First I tried using my webcam inside the capture box, but each time I clicked on the screen to demonstrate something I disappeared.  I finally found the little help button on Screencast and watched this video.  Finally some clarity.

 Make the help button bigger, or place links to the help videos right on the screen like Jing does; that is the feedback I sent my new friends at Screencast.




I also created a YouTube channel for this class and if you would like to watch the video there, here is your link Making a word family Wordle.

iste.nets-t standards addressed using Screencast O Matic -

This tool is great for meeting standard 1, specifically making an educational video like this enabled me to teach my students how to do something creative but it would be even more powerful for older students to use to teach something to someone else.  When you are able to explain how to use or do something, you understand it in a much deeper way.

I can see Screencast being a great tool for meeting standard 5 as well.  Just prior to getting started on my Evernote assignment today, I completed an online module about goal setting.  I was able to complete it at my own pace and in my free time because someone used a tool like Screencast to put together the videos that showed me where to find and how to use the assessment tools that my school system has available. It was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment