Saturday, March 1, 2014

Google Docs

This appeared to be a simple assignment, but then I got bogged down in trying to improve my resume. Forgive me if the one that I publish is not all THAT, but after traveling down the winding, circuitous route of a new resume format, I realized that I had been tinkering for over an hour and had really made nothing but negative progress.  I went back to my original, mustered the last remnants of my focus, and quickly added on my most recent accomplishments.  Maybe someday I will have a better, sassier, more modern format, but for now, you get the old standard.

I did watch the Jing video on how to create a new resume from the Google template and that is good to know.  Also good to know where to find those other fun templates (family budget planner tweaked my interest.)  However, I had a resume that I had worked on recently so I decided to spruce that up and upload it to my Google Docs.  Other than the wasted time trying to make myself sound as fabulous as possible while looking like a resume professional, I thought the process was fairly straightforward.

Publishing was a bit trickier.  Google had some good help, but for some reason I never found the option that used the language "publish as a web page."  According to the Help section, it should look like this when I click File, but it did not.  That little Publish to the web section that is highlighted in the image was not an option.  So... I chose Share, and then
opted to share it freely.  I am not sure if that is the same thing...  I wonder if Shenandoah University, as the administrator of my Google Drive, has somehow removed the option to publish to the web.  If anyone else is having this issue or knows of a solution, please let me know.

My resume can be found here.  Maybe it is a web page, maybe not. I will look into that.

ISTE Nets T- standards-
Accomplishing the task of uploading and publishing my resume was an example of modeling digital age work and learning as I was able to transfer my document from one media to another, and perhaps to the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment