Sunday, March 2, 2014

Google Docs - publish to the web

Phew - I am sure all of this is very good for me, and certainly educational, but I have to admit that it is frustrating how much time learning some of it can take.  It turns out that since I had created my document in Word, and then uploaded it to my Google drive, "publish to the web" was not an option.  I thought it might be SU administrative controls, but now I suspect it has to with formatting issues.  So, I decided to go back and create a new resume using the templates.

Lo and behold, I did not actually have the templates in my Google drive.  Why would this be simple?  It took a lot of searching (and TIME) to finally realize that I had to ... is download the right word?  I had to add them to my drive.  Once that was accomplished, I copied and pasted my Word resume into Notepad to eliminate all the formatting, and then copied and pasted and rearranged it in the template.  I chose the simplest template, because I have other things to do and needed this job to be complete.  But, here is the link to my published resume.  I don't love the way it looks on the web, so I may make some changes, but thankfully they will automatically update.

Not that anyone would want to hire me after all my bellyaching about the assignment.  :)

Please see previous post for thoughts on standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment